Did you know that a recent survey showed that we spend less time planning for a baby than we do planning a holiday or buying a house! How can that be? Probably because we think that it should be the most natural thing in the world to do right?
Yet taking care of another human being is an enormous responsibility. It can feel overwhelming and there is so much information out there about the do’s and don’ts of parenting that sometimes it is just all too much to process and consume. Would it make you feel better if I told you that the most powerful thing that you can do, is relax, be present with your baby and trust yourself and your intuition.
So when we come to weaning your baby the same principle applies. If you want your baby to have a relaxed and comfortable relationship with food it starts with addressing some of your anxieties about the weaning process. There are many concerns that parents have but many of them come back to one of these fears….
Common fears about weaning
- Am I feeding my baby eating enough or too much for their needs?
- Is may baby getting all the nutrients they need to develop and grow to their potential?
- How would I cope if my baby choked during feeding?
- I don’t want my baby to grow up to be a fussy eater
- I don’t want my baby to grow up to be unhealthy or overweight
How to reduce your feeding anxieties
- Educate yourself on the different weaning methods
- Find out when is the right time to start weaning your baby
- Tune in to your baby’s needs at mealtimes by observing their facial expressions, noises and body language – it is amazing what we can actually understand
- Respond to what your baby is trying to tell you about their feeding experience
- Talk to other Mums and family that are going through, or have been through the same thing so that you feel supported
- Try not to worry about the mess! Mess can always be cleared up later, eating habits can last a lifetime
- Be kind and compassionate to yourself – you are doing your best
Raising Confident Eaters Online Course
Would you like to be part of a friendly support group of like minded parents? Why not join our ‘Raising Confident Eaters' online course. Next course starts Tuesday 15th JuneTell me more